Dinner time. For some it’s a lovely chance to sit down with the family and catch up on the day’s events. For others, it’s a never-ending battle to get your children to eat more vegetables.
When bribing them with dessert, or yelling “eat your veggies or else” has failed, it’s time to get creative. We’ve asked some mums for their best tips and tricks to get their kids to eat vegetables. They’re easy, practical and just might work…
- Meatballs and lasagna is a firm favourite at dinner time. Next time, try thinly grating carrot, courgette and mushroom into the meatballs or lasagna. They’ll never know…
- Would you eat them in a box? Would you eat them with a fox? Add chopped spinach to scrambled eggs and call it Green Eggs and Ham
- Kids love smoothies! And, you can load them up with veggies. This smoothie recipe is easy to make, delicious and full of goodness: add to a blender, 250 ml coconut water, 1 handful of spinach, ½ a frozen courgette, 3 mint leaves, and 2 heaped tablespoons of Whaiora Green smoothie blend. Blend for 15 seconds and enjoy. Yum
- Mashed potatoes never fail. Try mashing another similar coloured vegetable in, such as cauliflower
- Make a healthy pizza – use a wholemeal wrap base, a sugar free pizza sauce, and load with vegetables and cheese. As far as the kids are concerned, it’s still pizza.
That’s it! If you try any of these tips, or have any to add, let us know on our Facebook page.